Life is Better With Tankless
Need help understanding what tankless water heaters are and if they’re right for you? We’re here to help. We have everything you need to make an educated decision on your home’s most important appliance.
How Tankless Works
No-Hassle Hot Water, When and Where You Need It
With a tankless water heater, your home's cold water is heated only when you need it, and it stays hot until you're done using it. This results in a limitless hot water supply and little to no wasted energy usage.
- Flame ignites and heats two heat exchangers
- Water preheats as it passes through the secondary heat exchanger
- Water continues to heat to desired temperature as it passes through stainless steel primary heat exchanger
- Water exits the unit and travels to the water fixture where it is needed
- Flame output adjusts as needed to maintain water temperature during use
- With usage complete, the flame turns off and water stops flowing
Condensing vs. Non-Condensing
With a second heat exchanger, exhaust is looped back into the system to heat water more efficiently.
- Higher heater cost, though the venting materials are more flexible including 2” PVC
- Higher energy efficiency
- Must drain condensation at the bottom of the heater
- Ideal for colder climates with lower groundwater temperatures
With only one heat exchanger, exhaust gas is ventilated out of the top of the heater instead of used in the heating system.
- Lower initial cost, though you need a metal-based exhaust vent system
- Simpler maintenance
- No need to drain condensate if vented horizontally
- Ideal for warmer climates with higher groundwater temperatures
Tankless water heaters can work with both natural gas and propane heat sources.
If your home runs on all-electric heat, tankless may still be a viable option. Contact a Rinnai PRO for further assistance.
Technology & Features
Tankless water heaters are about the size of a carry-on suitcase, so they can fit in small spaces like closets, cabinets, and mud rooms.
Unlimited Hot Water
Because your water is continuously heated as needed, you’ll never have to choose between taking a hot shower, doing a load of laundry, or running the dishwasher.
Wi-Fi technology allows certain water heaters to be monitored and controlled (scheduling, recirculation, and more) by our control-r™ module via smartphone or voice-controlled device (module purchased separately).
Tankless water heaters are easier to repair than tanks, often eliminating the need to replace the unit. And many offer extended, comprehensive warranties.
Rated by a Uniform Energy Factor (UEF), tankless water heaters are a highly efficient hot water appliance and ENERGY STAR® certified units offer additional energy saving benefits.
Smart-Circ™ Intelligent Recirculation™ learns your hot water usage pattern and schedules recirculation accordingly to provide you with faster hot water when you need it.
No More Waiting for Hot Water
Waiting for hot water can be frustrating, costly, and wasteful. Recirculating technology eliminates the wait, so hot water is always at the ready. Our technology permits this even if your home does not have a dedicated return line.Learn More About Intelligent Recirculation™
The Smart Investment
Better Than a Tank
Your water heater is the most important appliance in your home. Choosing tankless is the smart investment.
- Tankless water heaters last up to twice as long as tanks
- Save energy by heating water only when it's needed
- Avoid costly replacement events with a maintainable and repairable tankless unit
Compare Tankless vs. Tank
|Tankless Water Heater||Tank Water Heater|
50G Storage Tank
50G Storage Tank
|Fuel Type or Energy Source||Natural Gas||Propane||Natural Gas||Propane||Natural Gas||Propane||Electric|
|UEF (Uniform Energy Factor)||0.92||0.92||0.81-0.82||0.81-0.82||0.60||0.60||0.95|
|Annual Operating Costs*||$201||$487||$228||$552||$309||$745||$626|
*As based on the average cost to run an electric tank water heater per the Department of Energy (DOE) Average Energy Costs (doe.gov) 2017
Find the Right Rinnai For Your Home
Answer a series of simple questions about your home and our Solution Selector will show you exactly what Rinnai system you need to improve your life and home.Find Your Solution
Protect Your Investment
Tankless water heating system installs require a specific knowledge and highly trained skill set you can only get from a professional. Be sure to protect your investment by having your tankless system installed by a certified Rinnai PRO.Find a PRO