How It Works
The Rinnai RH180 Hybrid Tank-Tankless Water Heater is a unique combination blending the benefits of advanced technology and simple supply; it pairs an innovative, on-demand tankless system with an ample 40-gallon storage tank. By design, the system has a large capacity of hot water as well as technology to help maintain and quickly replenish the hot water supply.
Here are the basics:
- When a hot water fixture (shower, faucet, etc.) is turned on, heated water exits the system from the top of the tank. While hot water exits the top of the tank, cold water enters the system and is directed toward the bottom of the tank.
- Automatically sensing a change in temperature, the system activates a pump that draws cooler water located at the bottom of the tank up and through the heating components of the tankless unit.
- The heated water exits the tankless unit and is then directed toward the top of the tank.
- While the fixture is on and cold water continues to be directed to the bottom of the tank, the tankless technology continually replenishes the system with hot water.
- When the hot water fixture is turned off, cold water stops entering the tank, but the tankless unit continues replenishing hot water until the selected set temperature is satisfied.